Skip to main content

Actively Reading and Annotating the Textbook

  • What is Active Reading and Annotating? 
    • Active Reading: Reading with the purpose of understanding the text. 
    • Annotating: Adding notes to comment, explain or raise questions about a text 
  • When is this most helpful? 
    • I found this most helpful before going to class; however, this method can be used at any time. 
  • Why use this study method? 
    • Engaging
    • Prevents mindless reading
    • Develops critical thinking skills
    • Helps to make connections, inferences, and conclusions
    • Keep track of ideas and questions
  • How?
    • Skim the Text
      • Take note of headings and subtopics
      • Make learning goals
    • Read and Annotate the Text 
      • Highlight important words, terms
      • Underline key ides 
      • Write down questions, ideas, connections, and conclusions 
      • Color-code your notes.
    • Summarize the reading after each section
      • Write down key points from memory 
      • Go back to the text to fill in gaps
    • Fill in ALL gaps
      • Ask the instructor about unclear topics
    • Review
      • Read all the notes 
      • Write down key points from memory 
      • Fill in any gaps 
      • Repeat as needed  

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular posts from this blog

Create and Review Flashcards

Setbacks

It seems disadvantageous for me to write about this topic. People think of me as someone who got into a UC and flew through the four years without any issues. To write this post, I have to be willing to taint that. Now, that thought process is ridiculous. Hardships happen in everyone's life and shouldn't taint one's accomplishments. However, we have built a culture where setbacks are seen as failures. To fix this, it is important that we, as a society, talk about the different issues that arise during one’s educational career. (*Note: To keep this post short, I will only talk about the biggest setback I faced in college, but I faced many setbacks, big and small, along the way.) Storytime… The week before finals during my first quarter of college, I was doing extremely poorly in my courses. When I talked to my academic advisor, she suggested I withdraw from all my classes. I was shocked. I came back to the dorms and cried for hours. My parents were extremely disappointed.